Would You Recommend That I Keep A Record Of What’s Happened Following The Accident?

Absolutely! We actually have a free auto accident app that has some general features on it. You can keep track of your expenses, you can keep track of prescriptions, other notes, times you went to the doctor, all those things will be important and all those things will be helpful to share with your attorney to show how this has affected your daily life. You’ll be able to provide your attorney with a clearer picture as to your progress and he can then inform the adjuster on the status of your treatment and how this accident has negatively affected you.

What Are The Top Misconceptions That People Have About Auto Accidents?

Their case really isn’t worth anything; they’re going to pay so much for all the medical bills. If they’re not at fault in the accident, will they be able to get any compensation for their injuries. Even if they don’t have medical insurance, the medical providers who provided them with the healthcare treatment will take a reduction in that treatment based on the fact that an attorney’s involved now and a claim is being pursued against a negligent driver.

How is Fault Determined? Can an Attorney Argue that it Wasn’t an Individual’s Fault?

There are a lot of things that can determine fault. The initial thing and probably one of the most important factors will be the officer and what he writes down in his accident report when he gets to the scene. Often times, there may only be the two drivers that are at the accident scene and there may not be any witnesses. At that time, he may interview the two drivers and if he can determine fault based on the position of the cars or based on what one driver’s saying. If one driver admits fault, he’ll make a notation in his report of an at-fault driver. Other times, there may be witnesses to an accident who stopped, there may be witnesses who just are pedestrians, who saw the accident and who stuck around. He’ll then take their statements and make a determination of at-fault party based on everybody’s statement and provide that report. If he’s unsure of fault, the officer may just write fault unknown in the report.

The onus will be on that person and their attorney to figure out exactly who was at fault and to prove fault. It’s important to note that Alabama is one of the few states that’s a contributory negligent state meaning that if you’re found at all as a contributing factor of negligence in your case, then you can be denied any compensation. Let’s say you’re only 5 per cent at fault and the other driver was 95 per cent at fault, if the insurance adjuster or the defense attorney can put 5 per cent fault on you or even 1 per cent fault on you, you are entitled to 0 dollars in our state. That’s why it’s extremely important for potential clients never to talk to an insurance adjuster on their own, never to agree to record a statement without consulting an attorney first because that’s what the adjusters are looking for. They’re looking to pin any sort of fault on that other driver and if they can do so, it may ruin your case.

For more information on Keeping a Record after an accident, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you’re seeking by calling (205) 871-9990 today.

Get your questions answered - call us for your free, 20 min phone consultation (205) 871-9990